FINALLY! "Bernie" is a movie worth watching

Bernie (9) got me back to the theater. Glad I went (for a change.)

Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011 Version)

Rating: 6
Starring: Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara, Christopher Plummer
Genre: Adult Drama

It will do well at the box office on the skirts of the Swedish original. Lots of people won't go to foreign movies with subtitles, so the best-selling novel plus favorable word-of-mouth about the original creates tailwinds for this Hollywood-made version. I've got to admit that I liked the Swedish version better, although this one was interesting and held my attention most of the way. It follows the plot pretty closely, but it's somewhat too long and becomes unnecessarily complex near the end. Rooney Mara does a good job replicating Noomi Repace, and Daniel Craig is well cast as her accomplice in the cold case search for the missing girl. I might add that this one has more blood letting and explicit sex scenes.

No comments: