FINALLY! "Bernie" is a movie worth watching

Bernie (9) got me back to the theater. Glad I went (for a change.)

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Contagion (Guest Review)

Rating: 7
Starring: Matt Damon, Gweneth Paltrow, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Lawrence Fishburne, Marion Cotillard, Elliott Gould
Genre: Adult Drama

(Guest reviewed by D Kirk) We were lucky to have part of this film shot in our neighborhood as Director Soderbergh felt that a nearby house in Glencoe, IL made for a better location for Matt Damon's home than Edina, Minnesota...where he is supposed to be living.

This is a big-time cast with a gripping, sweeping story. Soderbergh borrows a bit from his "Traffic" formula by covering several stories to depict how and why this killer virus is so lethal. No star is sacred in this movie...if they catch this sucker, it doesn't matter who their agent is, they are a "goner."

I felt that the story was well told, covered the science in a manner that even us non-science types could understand, and moved at a pretty good pace. It seemed realistic and logical. But, I have to say that while I was caught up in the story and intrigued by the mystery of it all, I was never "on the edge" of my seat or rapt with worry or fear. Maybe it was the smarminess of Law, the diligence of Fishburne, or the reassuring calm of Damon...but, it didn't "grab" me like I thought it would.

Still, a very good movie that you will want to see. If you do, you will certainly wash your hands...repeatedly.

No comments: